Join us for weekly nature walks around the Redeemer Classical School neighborhood and in Fort Wayne’s fabulous parks. Walks are guided and open, free, to the public.
We walk on Fridays starting at 1:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted below. Participants must sign a liability waiver. You may print, complete, and bring it with you the first time you join us, or we will provide copies on-site.
To receive text reminders and notifications of last-minute changes, such as due to weather, text @redeemercl to 81010. If that doesn’t work on your phone, text @redeemercl to (347) 983-9822. We recommend this.
Where a fee is listed, it’s for families of non-Redeemer students to make the project listed that day. Non-Redeemer families who wish to participate on project days should RSVP to email@example.com and pay the fee one week beforehand to ensure materials will be available. They may also pay a discounted total at the beginning of the year instead. That is $20 for materials for the first child, $12 for each additional child, for the whole year, compared to $23 total individually.
Suggested carry-alongs: Insect repellant, outdoors-suitable clothing, colored pencils, nature journal or sketchpad, magnifying glass or binoculars, water, snacks. Strollers and baby carriers welcome.
Redeemer Classical 2018-19 Nature Walk Schedule
Fall semester walks:
- Sept. 7: Bird Log Introduction (Foster Park) $3 per custom bird log, or bring your own drawing or nature notebook.
- Sept. 14: Insect Log and Collection Introduction (school)
- Sept. 21: Monarch Migration Hike and Service Project (Eagle Marsh, 6801 Engle Rd.) 1.5-hour field trip. Directions: Head for the address. When near, find two orange flags marking the driveway leading to the education barn. You can spot this barn from the road. Wear closed-toe shoes and long pants, and tie back long hair to avoid ticks. Bring bottled water and bug spray.
- Sept. 28: Ant Catching and Homing (school)
- Oct. 5: CANCELED FOR WEATHER
- Oct. 12: Apple Picking and Bee Observation (Advanced Tree Technology)
- Oct. 19: Fall Pond Study (Fox Island)
- Oct. 26: Insect Egg and Dead Body Hunt (Foster Park)
- Nov. 2: Hike at Waldman Environmental Study Center
- Nov. 9: Making Cricket Houses (school)
- Nov. 16: Build A Bird Feeder (school) $8 per feeder.
- Nov. 30: Indoor Bird Watching (Fox Island)
- Dec. 7: Show ‘n Tell with Terri Gorney and Julie Henricks of the Stockbridge Audubon Society (school)
- Dec. 14: Winter Treasure Hunt (school)
Spring semester walks:
- January 11: Show ‘n Tell talk with Vince Burkle, an entomologist with Indiana’s DNR (school)
- January 18: Audubon Mimic Day (school)
- January 25: Winter Pond Study (Fox Island)
- February 1: Winter Sledding Trip (Larez Park)
- February 8: Artist Show n’ Tell with John Kelty, president of the Fort Wayne Artist Guild
- February 15: Winter Bird Watching (Fox Island Observatory)
- February 22: Build a Birdhouse (school) $8 per house.
- March 1: Setting Up a Real Egg Hatchery (school)
- March 8: Nest Building Project (school)
- March 15: Field Trip to Botanical Conservatory
- March 22: Real-Life Chick Observation and Sketching (school)
- April 5: Plant Bee-Attracting Flowers (school)
- April 12: Make an Ant Farm (school) Bring a large Mason jar or contribute $4 per half-gallon jar and sand we provide.
- April 18: Insect Collection (school)
- April 26: Flying Creatures Scavenger Hunt (Foster Park)
- May 3: Field Trip to Bee Farm (details pending)
- May 10: Spring Pond Study (Fox Island)
- May 17: Farewell Play and Picnic (Lutheran Park)
- For neighborhood walks, meet at Redeemer Lutheran Church.
For Lutheran Park outings, meet at the splash pad.
For Foster Park outings, meet at the trail head next to the parking lot beyond the playground.
For Fox Island outings, meet outside doors of nature center. Fox Island entrance is $2/person or free with annual $30 family membership. Purchase at the park’s nature center or their website.
We walk in rain, snow, and shine. The only exception is dangerous inclement weather. We will notify of cancellations via our text-messaging service.